In this article, I will explain how to download podcasts to your computer
Podcasts have increasingly become one of the best iterations of entertainment today. Just a few years ago, very few people knew about this platform, but it’s not true anymore.
However, many people don’t know that they can listen to their favorite podcasts and they come with many amazing features, including being able to use them without necessarily being connected to the internet.
All you need to do is save your podcasts to listen to later when offline.
The biggest challenge for most people in this regard is that they don’t know how to download podcasts to a computer.
Luckily for you, we have a few steps that should help you crack everything about podcasts in a matter of seconds.
Can I download podcasts to my computer?
Of course, you can download a podcast to your computer; quite easily. These are the steps to do so:
#1: Download an App
Your first step will be to download an app called podcast manager.
The podcast manager will enable you to listen to podcasts offline with the help of third-party clients that convert URLs into MP3 files.
Alternatively, you can use readily available cross-platform options such as Zune and gPodder.
#2: Customize Your Settings
Once you have downloaded the podcast manager to your computer, customize your settings to enable it to use the podcast properly.
There are several options to get started with the podcast on your computer. First, customize the file type, next is to choose the download destination, and finally player preference.
Most importantly, managers such as iTunes will enable you to play podcasts within the interface.
#3: Find the podcast
Now that you have downloaded the podcast manager and adjusted your settings, it is now time to search for a podcast of your choice.
The best thing about using podcasts on our computer rather than on your phone is that it gives you the freedom to browse virtually all podcasts in the public records.
Phones, on the other hand, only enable you to browse podcasts in the app’s databases.
Select your preferred podcast and click ‘Episode.’
However, you may be required to start by creating an account with a podcast site for you to access specific episodes. All that is required to create an account is a valid email address and a password.
#4: Download the podcast
The fourth and last step in downloading a podcast to your computer is saving the podcast.
The procedure to save a podcast on your PC is dependent on the type of manager you’re using (sometimes you need to use a right-click to reveal a contextual option panel).
As a reminder, some of the popular managers include iTunes, Zune, gPodder, among others. It is relatively simple to save podcasts on such managers. All you need to do is to choose a podcast and click ‘save’ or ‘get’ next to your preferred episode.
Alternatively, you can download episodes by copying the podcast’s URL and paste it into your manager. Test whether your podcast is working properly by choosing your file location and playing it.
How do I download a podcast from the iTunes store to my computer?
These are the steps on how to download podcasts to a computer
- Open the app on your computer and select Podcasts on the menu found at the top left corner.
- In the top right corner, click in the search box and type in a word or phrase. A list of items will be displayed below the search area. Choose the word or phrase that matches what you have typed in.
- You can choose where you want to search. Click store, it is found in the top right of the webpage.
- Press Return and the results should appear on the window.
- Preview an item before downloading by moving the pointer over it. Preview the item you just selected using the Preview button.
- Having previewed your item, it is now time to select the podcast you want to download.
- Here is how to go about it:
- You can get a single episode by clicking the ‘Get’ button which is found somewhere near your favorite episode.
- Alternatively, you can also get the podcast by hitting the Subscribe button.
The best thing about iTunes is that you can download the most recent episodes. It is important to know that one can also subscribe or unsubscribe from a podcast of your choice using other platforms apart from the iTunes store.
All you need to do is choose a file, select ‘Subscribe to podcast’, use the internet address associated with that podcast, and then subscribe to the content.
If you’re having trouble finding the internet address, just visit the podcast website and retrieve it.
Upgrade or Unsubscribe
One may already have a podcast on their computer and now wants to either upgrade or unsubscribe altogether. The process to upgrade is as follows.
- Go to the iTunes store on your computer and choose ‘Podcasts’ then click ‘Library’ from the pop-up menu.
- Many people would prefer to upgrade the product, and all they need to do is select the podcast and click ‘Refresh’. The Refresh button is around the bottom area of the window to your left, and that is where you will find all the episodes you previously subscribed to.
- You can either resume the podcast plan you chose earlier or stop it altogether. To resume, choose the product, go to settings, and then click ‘ON’. If you want to stop the podcast, follow the same procedure and click ‘OFF’ this time.
- Alternatively, you can decide to simply delete the podcast. In this case, all you need to do is to select the program and click the ‘Delete’ button, then confirm the removal.
Can I download a podcast episode to listen offline?
It is possible to download an episode of a podcast to listen to it offline on your computer or phone. Here is how you can go about it:
- Connect to a WiFi and navigate to a podcast
- Select your favorite episode and click the three-dot menu button. The menu should provide you with options to share or download the episode you want. Click on ‘Download’.
- Wait for the download to complete and make sure the ‘downloaded’ arrow icon facing downwards appears next to the episode title.
- Go to the downloads sections and search for the podcast episode you just downloaded. Play the podcast when you’re offline to ensure it downloaded and is working.
Although you can play podcasts offline, you will still need an internet connection to do the initial download.
Apart from Wi-Fi, you can also use mobile data to download your episodes. To download podcast episodes using mobile data, go to favorites> settings and enable ‘Download On Cellular Data’.
You will know your device is not connected to the internet if the download option greys out, and that is the point to download podcasts using mobile data.
However, be reminded that downloading podcasts or any application using mobile data will make your device consume more data than it usually does.
That means you will incur extra costs while downloading podcasts using your mobile data.
How do I download podcasts for free?
It is possible to download podcasts for free but you need to pick a suitable app. The good news is that there are no limitations, you can download new podcasts to android devices, ios, windows, and even iPod touch.
Additionally, all you need to do to download podcasts for free is adjust your settings so that your device can only download podcasts with Wi-Fi.
Furthermore, android users have access to a built-in podcast app that enables them to listen to their favorite episodes for free. Additionally, the Google app gives you access to millions of podcasts in real-time.
Here are two popular apps that allow you to use podcasts whichever way you want for free.
Google podcasts were launched recently to give users better entertainment without necessarily spending a lot of money.
The google app provides users with a stylish and sleek listening experience, all for free.
However, Google podcasts do not have many features, although they have plans to add the missing features.
Most importantly, google assistant integration is there to compensate for that in the meantime.
All you need to do is to open podcasts and ask google assistant to provide you with the latest episodes that you want to listen to.
Apple users are some of the luckiest users of podcasts because the Apple app allows them to listen to podcasts without having to pay for anything.
Most importantly, the gadgets allow users to stream and download new episodes, set their favorite episodes, as well as download automatically so that you never miss a new release.
Now you know that downloading podcasts to your computer is easier than you thought. In fact, the process is not very different from downloading and installing any podcasts app.
The only difference is that you need to be careful about the kind of app you pick for the podcast. While many apps are compatible with the platform, only a couple of them will give you the best user experience.
Most importantly, there are free podcast apps such as google podcasts, apple podcasts, Stitcher Radio, Castbox, among others.
However, the best of them all is Google podcasts because it gives you millions of podcast episodes for free. Follow the steps discussed above to download podcasts to your computer and enjoy unlimited episodes in your podcast.